This error appeared in out environment recently, and didn’t go away until we changed some configuration settings in a config file on all the management servers.
- EventID 29181 in the OpsMgr eventlog.
- Newly pushed agents show up as “Not Monitored”
- Changes you do to a Management Pack, ex. overriding a rule, does not work.
- Discovery of new objects is insanely slow, or does not work all together.
Log Name: Operations Manager
Source: OpsMgr Management Configuration
Event ID: 29181
OpsMgr Management Configuration Service failed to execute ‘DeltaSynchronization’ engine work item due to the following exception
Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.DataAccessOperationTimeoutException: Exception of type ‘Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.DataAccessOperationTimeoutException’ was thrown.
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.DataAccessOperation.ExecuteSynchronously(Int32 timeoutSeconds, WaitHandle stopWaitHandle)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.SqlConfigurationStore.ConfigurationStore.ExecuteOperationSynchronously(IDataAccessConnectedOperation operation, String operationName)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.SqlConfigurationStore.ConfigurationStore.WriteConfigurationDelta(IConfigurationDeltaDataSet dataSet)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Engine.DeltaSynchronizationWorkItem.TransferData(String watermark)
We went as far as opening a support case with Microsoft.
In the end, we managed to fix the problem, changing some timeoutvalues in the Config Service configfile on each and every Management Server.
Check workitem duration:
First of all, run this query against the OperationsManager database to check if you see errors in the WorkItemState table;
SELECT * FROM cs.WorkItem WHERE WorkItemName = ‘DeltaSynchronization’
If you see alot of 10’s and not all 20’s, you have a problem with syncronization.
The states are:
15 Timed out
How to fix the issue:
You may stumble upon this support tip if you did what we did – google’d the crap out of the problem: http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2013/01/29/support-tip-config-service-deltasynchronization-process-fails-with-timeout-exception.aspx
This provides most people with a fix to the problem, but we had to change another parameter to get stuff working again.
In addition to thanging the <Category Name=”Cmdb”> TimeoutSeconds values, we needed to change the <Category Name=”ConfigStore”> TimeoutSeconds values.
Our config now looks like this:
<Operation Name=”GetEntityChangeDeltaList” TimeoutSeconds=”300″ />
After changig this on EVERY management server, and restarting the Config Service, things started to work again.